- Cataloging staff who meet all of the requirements listed further below and are not currently using OCLC Connexion Client.
- Cataloging staff who meet all of the requirements listed further below and are currently using OCLC Connexion Client but need a refresher. Each RSA Bibload Workshop discusses the same content – no need to attend more than one unless you need a refresher.
Depending on demand, RSA may prioritize registrations for cataloging staff who are not currently using Client. Registrants who currently use the Client and are in need of a refresher may be asked to register for a future workshop.
- Please register on L2 no later than 5:00 pm on Thursday, October 12, 2023.
- Registration is accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Maximum registration is 8 staff from Basic and Full Online RSA member libraries.
- More than one staff member from the same library are allowed to attend.
- Minimum registration is at least 2 staff from 2 different RSA member libraries to encourage collaborative learning.
- If the registration requirement is met at the time of the registration deadline, the instructor will email registrants the Zoom access link and a preparation checklist soon after registration closes. The preparation checklist provides a reminder of the registration requirements listed further below.
- Please read the requirements below carefully before registering. Begin working on the video requirements as soon as possible after registering to ensure adequate time to complete them before the workshop. RSA has experienced a significant number of last-minute cancellations for this workshop, likely caused by registrants lacking time to finish the video requirements.
- Please cancel registration if attendance is no longer possible.
- If the minimum registration requirement is unmet at the time of the registration deadline, the instructor will cancel the workshop and notify the registrants via email.
- If registration no longer meets the minimum requirement on the day of the workshop, the instructor will announce the cancellation to registrants at the beginning of the workshop. It will not be taught. Registrants will be asked to consider participating in a future workshop. RSA appreciates the membership's understanding that this workshop must meet the minimum registration requirement to be taught.
- Basic familiarity using a mouse and keyboard, as well as the ability to clearly view a computer screen.
- Meet all of the OCLC cataloging requirements in the Core Competencies for Cataloging Staff at RSA Member Libraries:
- Employment at a Basic or Full Online RSA member library – Refer to this list to check RSA membership level by library.
- Completion of the basic WorkFlows cataloging workshop provided by RSA or internally at the registrant’s library.
- At least six months of cataloging experience. Exception to this requirement is considered on an individual basis by the RSA Cataloging & Database Supervisor in consultation with the registrant’s supervisor.
- Active subscription to the RSA listserv and routine monitoring for cataloging-related information.
- Participation in RSA Database Committee meetings to stay informed of cataloging issues and procedures. Those unable to attend “live” must watch the meeting recording and read the notes accessible here.
- Receive permission from a supervisor, Director, or administration to register. No need to share permission with RSA.
- A functional web cam or borrow one from RSA. Please indicate during registration, using the free-text notes field, if an RSA web cam is necessary.
- Reliable internet connection.
- WorkFlows downloaded on the computer before the workshop. Download WorkFlows here. Contact the RSA Help Desk for assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-940-4083.
- OCLC Connexion Client is already downloaded on the computer before the workshop. Download Client 3.1 here if your computer meets the system requirements on this page. Download Client 2.63 here if your computer does not meet the system requirements for Client 3.1. Contact OCLC Support before the workshop if you need assistance with the Client installation: email@example.com or 1-800-848-5800.
- OCLC Connexion authorization and password for the registrant’s library ready at the time of the workshop. Contact OCLC Support if the authorization or password is unknown: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-848-5800.
- Completion of these four modules before the workshop to learn how to use OCLC Connexion Client:
- Module 1 – WorldCat, MARC, and client basics (120 minutes)
- Module 2 – Basic bibliographic searching (107 minutes)
- Module 3 – Basic editing and record processing (95 minutes)
- Module 4 – Save files, file management, and batch processing (100 minutes)
- Begin working on these video requirements as soon as possible after registering to ensure adequate time to complete them before the workshop.
- Prior to the start of the workshop, the registrant will save in their OCLC Connexion Client local save file 3 records for items in need of cataloging at their library. These 3 records can describe items not already cataloged in WorkFlows or items already cataloged as brief records. Saving these 3 records in advance is important because the workshop will not discuss search strategies. The registrant will use the 3 records during the workshop for hands-on practice adding call number/item information, exporting, and loading into WorkFlows.
- Prior to the start of the workshop, the registrant will assign an item ID and call number to each of the 3 items with records in the OCLC Connexion Client local save file.
- Log into Zoom to ensure a successful connection 15 minutes prior to the start of the workshop.