This class will combine Barcoding I – Searching and Matching and Barcoding II – Item Records in an accelerated format. Successful completion of the online class and a brief review video and questions within a month of completing the class will qualify participants to receive their Barcoding Certification.
This class will cover:
- The criteria that are used to determine if a bibliographic record in the database is a match for an item in hand.
- Effective search strategies for different formats of material and the match points that are used when comparing an item to a record.
- Creating, editing, and deleting item records in the Polaris/Leap Database.
- Participants must have a login for Polaris.
- Prior to attending the class, participants should watch a short video on searching in Polaris
- Participants should review the document “An Introduction to MAchine-Readable Cataloging (MARC)” found in the handouts below.